• Exxon Valdez struck a reef spilling millions of gallons of oil into Prince William Sound.
• Oliver North Is Convicted In Iran "Contra" Affair.
• Serial killer Ted Bundy was put to death.
• George H.W. Bush became the 41st President.
• Hundreds Die In Tiananmem Square As Troops Open Fire On Demonstrators.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• TV: “The Seinfeld Chronicles”, Baywatch”, “Saved by the Bell”, “Family Matters”
• Nintendo introduces us to “Game Boy”
• MOVIES: “Batman” “Twins” & “Driving Miss Daisy” were on the big screen.
• Nolan Ryan sets a record with his 5,000 strike out at age 42
• Lucille Ball: August 6, 1911 – April 26, 1989 She posthumously received the Presidential Medal of Freedom
• Gilda Radner: June 28, 1946 – May 20, 1989 part of the original cast of the NBC sketch comedy series Saturday Night Live, for which she won an Emmy Award. She posthumously won a Grammy for "Best Spoken Word Or Non-Musical Recording" in 1990.
• Billy Joel had a strong interest in history and at one time wanted to be a history teacher.
• Unlike most of Joel's songs, the lyrics were written before the melody, owing to the somewhat unusual style of the song.
• It was nominated for the Grammy Award for Record of the Year.
• Billy Joel is naming names and it put him in the #1 spot in December 1989 with “We Didn’t Start the Fire”