• Lyndon Johnson states that the United States should stay in South Vietnam until Communist aggression there is ended.
• The first SR-71 Blackbird spy plane goes into service
• Fidel Castro declares martial law in Cuba because of a possible U.S. attack.
• The National Organization for Women (NOW) is founded in Washington, DC.
• Lyndon Johnson signs a bill creating the United States Department of Transportation.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Born Free”, “Grand Prix” & “The Ghost and Mr. Chicken”
• T.V.: Perry Mason airs its only color episode, "The Case of the Twice-Told Twist."
• The Academy Awards and the Miss Universe pageant go color.
• The Beatles: In an interview published in The London Evening Standard, John Lennon comments, "We're more popular than Jesus now," eventually sparking a controversy in the United States.
• A highly influential band whose sound was one inspiration for garage rock and punk rock.
• It was recorded in one complete take at Olympic Studios in London.
• The song is ranked at #257 on the Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
• While the song was a hit it would become immortal 5 years later when Jimi Hendrix did it at Monterrey & set his guitar on fire as he played it!
• It would be the only #1 record for these Neanderthal’s from Andover, England…
• The Troggs and “Wild Thing”, your number 1 @ 1 from July 1966.