WITH OR WITHOUT YOU – U-2
#1 – May 16th, 1987
- The “Black Monday” stock market fall. (Monday, October 19TH)
- Prozac would hit the market.
- President Regan was in the thick of the Iran-Contra affair.
- Hustler Magazine & the Rev. Jerry Falwell went before the Supreme Court.
- Senator Gary Hart gets caught with Donna Rice.
- Jim Bakker admitted committing adultery with a church secretary named Jessica Hann.
- The FCC rescinds the Fairness Doctrine, which had required radio and television stations to "fairly" present controversial issues.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
- MOVIES: “3 Men & a Baby” “Dirty Dancing” “Good Morning Viet Nam” and “Lethal Weapon”
- T.V.: “Married…with Children”, “Matlock” and “The Simpsons” cartoon first appears on “The Tracy Ullman Show”.
- The Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin is the first woman inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
- Pi is calculated out to 134 million decimal places with no end in sight.
- “Bonfire of the Vanities” Tom Wolfe’s first novel is published.
- From the Joshua Tree album.
- The song originated from a demo recorded in late 1985 that the group continued to work on throughout The Joshua Tree sessions.
- It is U2's second most frequently covered song.
- The song features sustained guitar parts played by guitarist The Edge with a prototype of the Infinite Guitar, created by Michael Brook, as a way of allowing an electric guitar note to be held with infinite sustain (hence the name)
- U-2 ”With or Without You” you’re #1 @ 1 from May 1987