• President Nixon was ordered to turn over the tapes and the “smoking gun” was quickly found which broke the Watergate scandal wide open.
• The Symbionese Liberation Army kidnapped Patricia Hearst.
• World oil prices continued to climb.
• G. Gordon Liddy is found guilty of the Watergate break-ins.
• The Feds dictated that we could only drive 55!
• Gold hit an all time high of $197 dollars an ounce.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Blazing Saddles” & “Texas Chainsaw Massacre”.
• T.V.: “Happy Days” “Rhoda” & “Chico & the Man”
• Muhammad Ali and George Foreman fought the “Rumble in the Jungle” in Zaire.
• Hank Aaron breaks Babe Ruth’s record of 714 home runs.
• Streaking was the hot new fad.
• Jack Benny
• Mama Cass
• Duke Ellington
• Charles Lindbergh
• From the album Not Fragile.
• The single won the Juno Award for best-selling single of 1974. (The Juno Award for Single of the Year has been awarded since 1974 for the best single in Canada.)
• In The Rolling Stone Record Guide, writer Dave Marsh called the song "a direct steal from The Who," but "an imaginative one." The chords of the chorus riff are very similar to the ones used by The Who in their song "Baba O'Riley," and also, the stuttering vocal is reminiscent of "My Generation."
• Radio stations all over the USA were giving it a great deal of airplay. So much so, Bachman was embarrassed because he thought it was a stupid song, just something that he wrote as a joke.
• Bachman Turner Overdrive and “You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet” your #1 @ 1 from December 1974