• The United States celebrates the 200th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.
• Jimmy Carter defeats incumbent Gerald Ford, and becomes the first candidate from the Deep South to become president since the Civil War.
• Israeli Commandos raided an airport in Uganda to free 103 hostages.
• The Supreme Court says that the death penalty is neither cruel nor unusual and is a constitutionally acceptable form of punishment.
• The Viking 1 landed on Mars successfully. (NASA releases the famous Face on Mars photo, taken by Viking 1.)
• The $2.00 bill Issued
• Jimmy Carter is Time Magazine’s Man of the Year.
• A car bomb fatally injures Arizona Republic reporter Don Bolles.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Rocky” while “Carrie” & “The Omen”
• TV: “Happy Days,” “M*A*S*H,” & “One Day At A Time”
• The Seattle Seahawks play their first football game.
• The first commercial Concorde flight takes off.
• Frampton’s Frampton Comes Alive is huge
• IBM introduces the first Laser printer.
• “Apple” becomes a company.
• On the album Fly Like An Eagle
• The album is ranked number 445 on Rolling Stone magazine’s list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.
• Miller credits the guitar intro to this song as a tribute to the classic song “All Right Now” by Free.
• The cities mentioned in the song include Phoenix, Arizona; Tacoma, Washington; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Atlanta, Georgia; and Los Angeles, California.
• The Steve Miller Band with “Rock`n Me” your #1 @ 1 from November 1976.