• We were stunned at the sight over Cape Canaveral Florida in early 1986 as the space shuttle Challenger exploded 73 seconds after take off killing all 7 astronauts on board.
• The Russians launched the Mir space station into orbit
• The world’s worst nuclear disaster took place at Chernobyl.
• We watched as Al Capone’s secret vault was opened only be disappointed to find nothing of relevance.
• “Captain Midnight” was technically savvy enough to interrupt HBO’s satellite feed for nearly 5 minutes.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Platoon”, “Top Gun” & “Aliens”.
• T.V.: “A.M. Chicago” changed its name to “The Oprah Winfrey Show” and Frank Zappa appeared on an episode of “Miami Vice.” Also, popular, Family Ties, Cheers, Murder She Wrote and The Cosby Show
• Microsoft introduces “Windows”
• 1986 was the International Year of Peace.
• “Hands Across America” took place the point was to bring attention to famine in Africa & homelessness here in the U.S.
• Donna Reed
• Desi Arnaz
• Cary Grant
• On the Riptide album, This song has now become known as his signature song.
• Originally intended to be a duet with Chaka Khan, her record company at the time wouldn’t grant her a release to work on Palmer’s label.
• The song also featured Palmer’s Power Station bandmates Andy Taylor and Tony Thompson providing guitar and drum services.
• The music video ranked at number 3 on VH1’s Top 20 Videos of the 1980s.
• Palmer won a Grammy Award for the song in 1987.
• Here’s Robert Palmer with “Addicted to Love” your #1 @ 1 from May 1986.