• Iran seized our embassy taking 49 hostages for 444 days.( from November 4, 1979 to January 20, 1981)
• 3-Mile Island became the worst nuclear accident in U.S. history
• Skylab began screaming back to earth as it ran out of orbits. Re-entry occurred July 11th 1979.
• The U.S. government said yes to bailing out a nearly bankrupt Chrysler to the tune of over a billion dollars.
• Ford’s Pinto automobile design allowed its fuel tank to be easily damaged in the event of a rear-end collision which sometimes resulted in deadly fires and explosions.
• Gas prices shot up a record 85%!
• Gold would rise past $400 per ounce.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: ”Norma Rae” “Alien” ”Apocalypse Now” and “Kramer vs. Kramer”
• T.V.: “Dallas” “Alice” & “Dukes of Hazzard”
• “Asteroids” becomes a bigger video game than “Space Invaders”.
• The Sony Walkman cassette was the popular electronic device.
• Black and Decker released the cordless mini-vacuum, The Dustbuster.
• Nickelodeon TV and ESPN (Entertainment and Sports Programming Network) began broadcasting
• Victoria’s Secret stores opened.
• Sid Vicious: (John Simon Ritchie May 10 1957 – February 2 1979) Heroin overdose.
• John Wayne: (Marion Mitchell Morrison May 26, 1907 – June 11, 1979) Died of stomach cancer
• Mary Pickford: (April 8, 1892 – May 29, 1979) was a Canadian-born motion picture actress, co-founder of the film studio United Artists and one of the original 36 founders of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
• Found on the Blondes Have More Fun album.
• A judgment in a plagiarism lawsuit ruled that this song’s distinctive riff came from song called “Taj Mahal” by a Brazilian musician named Jorge Ben. Stewart agreed to give proceeds from the song to UNICEF
• The song was criticized by many in the rock press as a betrayal of Stewart’s blues-oriented rock roots due to its disco-like arrangement,
• The song itself is a very simple, straightforward tale of a guy meeting a girl in a bar and heading home for some late night entertainment.
• Here’s Rod Stewart with “Do Ya Think I’m Sexy” Your Number 1@1 from February 1979.