• Man would first step foot on the moon.
• The first troop withdrawals were made from Viet Nam.
• The Manson Family commits the Tate-LaBianca Murders.
• It would be the first time the United States would use a lottery to conscript soldiers into military service.
• The first year headrests would be mandated in all new cars
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIE: “Easy Rider”, “Midnight Cowboy” and “Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid”
• T.V.: “Hee-Haw” “Marcus Welby” and “The Brady Bunch” premier.
• Led Zeppelin would release their first album.
• Beatles perform live for the last time on the rooftop of Apple Records only to be unplugged by the cops.
• John would marry Yoko and Paul would marry Linda
• 3 days of peace and music Woodstock.
• Monty Python’s Flying Circus first aired on the BBC.
• Tiny Tim & Miss Vicki married on the Tonight Show.
• Judy Garland
• Boris Karloff
• Ho Chi Minh
• It was the first single by a band to go to number one on the Soul singles chart and the Billboard Hot 100 charts.
• The song is one of Sly Stone’s pleas for peace and equality between differing races and social groups.
• Rumor has it, the line “And so on, and so on, and scooby doobie doobie” would at least partly inspire the naming of the title character in the popular Saturday morning cartoon series Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!.
• Covered by Aretha Franklin, The Staple Singers, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, The Supremes & The Four Tops, Peggy Lee, Pearl Jam, among many others.
• Sly & The Family Stone and “Everyday People” you’re #1 @ 1 from February 1969.