Former Megadeth bassist David Ellefson has issued a new statement regarding the leaked video that led to the metal band parting ways with him earlier this week.
The video purported to show a sexually explicit interaction between Ellefson and a woman, which led to allegations that he was grooming an underage girl. In a since-deleted Instagram post earlier this month, Ellefson acknowledged the video’s existence, but denied that the other person was underage.
“These were private, adult interactions that were taken out of context and manipulated to inflict maximum damage to my reputation, my career and family,” he wrote.
Now, in a new statement obtained by Rolling Stone, his first since Megadeth’s dismissal announcement Monday, Ellefson says he’s exploring his legal options regarding the video.
“Recently, a very private video was illegally posted on the internet and false allegations were made against me,” Ellefson says. “The actions in the video were between two consenting adults and were recorded without my knowledge.”
“I am working with Scottsdale Police Department in their investigation into charges regarding revenge pornography to be filed against the person who posted this video,” he continues. “Also, my lawyers are preparing a defamation lawsuit to be filed against this person. This person will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”
Ellefson also shares that he’s “taking this time to be with my family,” and adds that he wishes his former band mates “the best with their upcoming tour.”
Megadeth’s statement announcing Ellefson’s departure referenced the video along with an apparent “strained relationship” between him and fellow founding member Dave Mustaine.
“While we do not know every detail of what occurred, with an already strained relationship, what has already been revealed now is enough to make working together impossible moving forward,” the statement read.
Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.