• During a visit to Berlin, Germany, President Ronald Reagan challenges Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev to tear down the Berlin Wall.
• Iran-Contra – Reagan security advisor Ollie North was part of a plan to help anti-communist Contra guerrillas in Nicaragua with funds from Iran which directly (or indirectly) got hostages out of Iran. Israel may or may not have been involved as well. It was much more confusing than it sounds here.
• Prozac hit the market and quickly became the third most prescribed antidepressant. (as of 2007)
• Mikhail Gorbachev was Time Magazine’s Man of The Year.
• Pi is calculated out to 134 million decimal places with no end in sight.
• It was the year of the “Black Monday” stock market fall.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• TV: “The Cosby Show,” “Rosanne” and “Murder She Wrote”
• MOVIES: “Moonstruck”, “Fatal Attraction”, “3 Men & a Baby”, “Dirty Dancing”, “Good Morning Viet Nam” and “Lethal Weapon”.
• Aretha Franklin became the first woman inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
• More channels came to TV, networks like “Movietime” we know it as “E!” now.
• This was the last year until 2013 with four distinct digits.
• Shelly Long Quit the popular NBC TV Show Cheers
• Red Bull started accelerating parties.
• This is found on The Joshua Tree album.
• It became the band’s second consecutive number-one single on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
• The song originated from a demo that the band created in a jam session.
• Rolling Stone magazine placed the song at number 93 of its list of “The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time”
• The staff of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame selected “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” as one of 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll.
• Here’s U2 with ”I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” your #1@1 from August of 1987.