THE BEATLES: 1, 2, 3, 4…
Researchers have developed an algorithm that analyzes songs from all 13 of The Beatles‘ U.K. albums.
Proving that some people truly do have too much time on their hands, researchers at Lawrence Technological University in Southfield, Michigan have developed an algorithm that analyzes songs from all 13 of the albums The Beatles released in England.
The program sorts out similarities among them based on sound frequencies and patterns. Once it determined how closely related each song was, the algorithm ranked the albums chronologically.
Professor Lior Shamir says, “People who are not Beatles fans normally can’t tell that Help was recorded before Rubber Soul, but the algorithm can. This experiment demonstrates that artificial intelligence can identify the changes and progression in musical styles by ‘listening’ to popular music albums in a completely new way.” The researchers also did similar studies on the music of U2, Queen, and — once again, proving that they have too much time on their hands — Tears for Fears.
In other Beatles news, a survey by the online streaming service Blinkbox Music to find the song with the weirdest lyric has “I Am the Walrus” at number-two. The lyric in question is: “I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus, goo goo g’joob.” The Killers topped the list with this line from “Human”: “Are we human, or are we dancer?”
Here’s the rest of the Top 10:
3) Michael Jackson – “Earth Song” – “What about elephants? Have we lost their trust?”
4) Lionel Richie – “All Night Long” – “Tom bo li de se de moi ya, yeah jambo jambo.”
5) Carly Rae Jepsen – “Call Me Maybe” – “Before you came into my life, I missed you so bad.”
6) Black Eyed Peas – “Boom Boom Pow” – “Beats so big I’m stepping on leprechauns.”
7) Duran Duran – “The Reflex” – “The reflex is an only child, he’s waiting in the park.”
8) Wham! – “Club Tropicana” – “Club Tropicana, drinks are free, fun and sunshine, there’s enough for everyone, all that’s missing is the sea.”
9) Taylor Swift – “Love Story” – “Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter, and my daddy said stay away from Juliet.”
10) Oasis – “Champagne Supernova” – “Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball.”