• During a visit to Berlin, Germany, President Ronald Reagan challenges Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev to tear down the Berlin Wall.
• Iran-Contra – Reagan security advisor Ollie North was part of a plan to help anti-communist Contra guerrillas in Nicaragua with funds from Iran which directly (or indirectly) got hostages out of Iran.
• Prozac hit the market and quickly became the third most prescribed antidepressant. (as of 2007)
• Pi is calculated out to 134 million decimal places with no end in sight.
• It was the year of the “Black Monday” stock market fall.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• Aretha Franklin became the first woman inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
• TV: The Cosby Show, Roseanne, Murder, She Wrote and Cheers.
• MOVIES: “Moonstruck”, “Fatal Attraction”, “3 Men & a Baby”, “Dirty Dancing”, “Good Morning Viet Nam” and “Lethal Weapon”.
• A gallon of gas was 89 cents.
• The Fox Broadcasting Co. made its prime time TV Debut
• Red Bull started accelerating parties.
• At the movies Eddie Murphy would star in the second installment of “Beverly Hills Cop.”
• The music was written by Harold Faltermeyer, who wrote the score for the film, and Keith Forsey, and the lyrics by Seger.
• Glenn Frey, was slated record this song, which had different lyrics at the time. He had to drop out with laryngitis, so Bob Seger was asked to replace him. Seger didn’t like the lyrics, and though he retained the same chorus, he rewrote the verses – which also gave him composer credit on the song.
• When he released his first Greatest Hits album in 1994, he left this song off. Even though it’s his biggest hit, Seger felt it wasn’t his greatest, and not one of his signature songs.
• Here’s Bob Seger with “Shakedown” your #1@1 from August of 1987.