• A cease-fire was called and the first American prisoners began to come home from North Viet Nam.
• The World Trade Center in New York becomes the tallest building in the world
• The Arab Oil Embargo shot Gasoline prices up by 80%.
• Sky Lab: (United States’ first space station) is launched
• Agnew was out, Gerald Ford in as Vice President (Agnew is the only Vice President in U.S. history to resign because of criminal charges.)
• The draft officially ended.
• Alaska Oil Pipeline bill is passed to allow construction of a pipeline
• Watergate Hearings begin in the United States Senate and President Richard Nixon tells the nation, “I am not a crook.”
FADS and Entertainment
• MOVIES: “The Sting” “American Graffiti” “The Exorcist”
• T.V.: “All In The Family,” “Sanford and Son,” “Hawaii Five-O” and ““M*A*S*H”
• The Cuisinart Food Processor hits the market.
• “Charlie” was the new perfume.
• In a Tennis Match billed as the battle of the sexes Ms. Billy Jean King defeats Bobby Riggs
• Elvis Presley’s Aloha From Hawaii television special is seen around the world by more than 1 billion viewers
• Pablo Picasso
• Bruce Lee
• Jim Croce
• J.R.R. Tolkien
• It’s the title track from their album that sold more than 25 million records
• It was the group’s first #1 single
• The song was sung by Don Brewer rather than Mark Farner, who usually took lead vocals.
• It is the 99th song on VH1’s 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs.
• The line “Sweet Sweet Connie was doing her act” is about Connie Hamzy, a famous groupie known as “Sweet Connie.” According to Hamzy, she didn’t have “the whole band,” as stated in the lyrics, but she came pretty close – Mark Farner was a holdout.
• Here’s “We’re An American Band” Your Number 1 @ 1 From September 1973